Department: Store Development
Reports to: Director of Construction
Location: Arese (Mi) with travel in Italy required
Purpose of role: To be fully responsible for leading, directing and delivering new store development projects within our Store Development team.
- The Project Executive will head up and be fully responsible for Construction and Development Projects which will deliver major change initiatives for Primark. Projects are likely to be in various stages of development and may be located in different geographical regions.
- You will manage external professional teams and will be required to lead and direct these teams to ensure that construction and development projects are designed and delivered on time within budget and to a high degree of quality and health & safety standards.
- The role will require diligent liaison with internal stakeholders and to manage those relationships across the business in support of high quality delivery and satisfactory stakeholder engagement.
- Ensure that the projects within your control are delivered on time, within budget and to a high degree of quality and health and safety
- Be responsible for the assembly of the Brief, Programme and Cost Plan for all projects within your control
- Liaise with Director of Construction & Feasibility Manager as necessary to develop accurate feasibility plans
- Manage and control overall spend against agreed budget taking up any variances with the appropriate stakeholders and project team members
- Apply and ensure all adhere to project standards and project management disciplines
- Develop strategic project objectives in conjunction with key stakeholders and translate these into project deliverables. Manage and report against these deliverables.
- Co-ordinate the development of project plans and take a high level view of all the projects and initiatives under your control identifying interdependencies, gaps and anomalies
- Manage progress of all projects through regular dialogue with project teams and stakeholders assessing the potential impact of change on these projects and also taking cognisance of the effect on the business thus ensuring change management is correctly dealt with.
- Address ambiguity across and within projects and identify where improvements can be made over current practice
- Manage risk throughout the life of the project(s) ensuring these have been correctly identified and prioritised and managed
- Troubleshoot problems/barriers encountered throughout the projects and bring these to a successful conclusion having secured the support of key stakeholders
- Define responsibilities and make optimal use of the resources available to the projects
- Identify the parties required to be involved and involve them in the evaluation of the projects success. Ensure the outcomes are communicated and that actions can be followed up.
- Build a network of contacts within peer group and across the business compiling a detailed knowledge of the structure and objectives of the different departments and stakeholders
- Ability to represent Primark Store Development internally and externally to ensure Primark retains its innovative and leading edge approach to development and construction delivery solutions
- Ensure Primark operating procedures and local building codes and regulations are fully complied with
- Report on a regular basis to the Director of Construction on project progress issues
- Monitor, review and undertake key performance reviews on all contractors and consultants
- Fluent in Italian and English
- Ideally educated to degree level and/or having a professional management qualification. A chartered construction industry professional (RICS, CIOB, RIBA etc.) with 10 to 15 years' experience in construction programme and project management of significant work streams and projects developing, building and refurbishing properties.
- Experience gained at a senior level in a corporate client based organisation or specialist consultancy or similar
- Detailed and working knowledge of legal and contractual documents and mechanisms that support construction and development project management
- Strong computer and IT literacy skills
- A confident inspiring leader with charisma and credibility who is prepared to drive hard, challenge and develop teams and projects to deliver exceptional results
- Excellent organising and planning skills with the ability to co-ordinate and manage multiple projects and Initiatives working to tight deadlines
- Ability to work on variant complexity and size of building projects managing internal and external relationships using influence and negotiation skills where required.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. Able to articulate information clearly and concisely via meetings, presentations, reports and workshops to colleagues at all levels.
- Proven managerial experience with particular emphasis in dealing with change management and ambiguity
- Has an understanding of the political dynamics of the organisation and an ability to positively respond to and influence broader strategic issues
- Ability to focus appropriately on projects' detail and/or the wider picture
- Ability to build and maintain a strong awareness of the 'bigger picture' both in terms of industry knowledge (construction and retail) and own role within Primark.